Friday, May 23

Beijing = Las Vegas

Since my Chinese vocabulary is so limited, the end of my cab rides usually finish with directional hand gestures, and frustration. Twice in the last week I have asked the cab to stop, and then walked the rest of the way to my destination. By asking the cab to stop, I mean I point to the receipt machine indicating that I want to get out. I can always see the place where I am headed as I exit the cab, and it always looks closer than it really is... This is why I draw the comparison to Vegas - the phenomenon is similar to when you visit out there, and you swear that walking from one casino to the next is really, really close. Then after many minutes of walking, you feel like it has been an eternity, and you're still on the grounds of the place you just left!

No comments: